Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Being Amongst Giants


Two pieces recently chosen by the Jurors of the 
Philadelphia Sketch Club's Annual "Philastration" Show


I was very honored and humbled to be a part of the Philadelphia Sketch Club's Annual Illustration Exhibit that opened this weekend. As my husband Keith, son Cody and his girlfriend Jenna traveled to Center City on Sunday for my first "Grown Up" Artist's reception, I was full of emotions. Excitement that my work has gotten to a level where it can be honored amongst my peers. Fear of maybe not fitting in and awe that I was being included with these great artists.

When we finally arrived (thank goodness for Cody's familiarity of the city and his phone's GPS), we approached this historic building with reverence. It's a very quaint, probably 200+ year old brownstone down a tiny alley. We headed to the door and stepped in. I made my way up the stairs bursting to see all the works. As I rounded the corner I was not disappointed. Works abound on these ancient walls. So many beautifully illustrated pieces. I took them all in. Studying each stroke. Then I turned around and there was my work. Framed and hanging among the rest. To my surprise it seemd to fit in.

I was able to mingle and network amongst my peers. Everyone was so welcoming. I even had a chance to meet some of the exhibiting artists who to my surprise will also be professors this fall as I head to Moore College of Art.

I still at times feel funny being one of the oldest in my classes. Surrounded by fresh faced, wide eyed teens and young adults. But tonight I felt as if I'd grown up a bit and maybe I was where I was supposed to be.
So head on down to the city and take a stroll down to 235 S.Camac St. between June 24th and July16th and take in some art. 
For more information about the "Philastration" show visit their website at www.sketchclub.org

No comments:

Post a Comment